How To Change Your Subconscious Beliefs

Subconscious mind

Humans are considered to be rational beings, but is that really so? Looking at people’s behaviour, strong doubts creep in. It is true that biologically we possess the largest brain in relation to body size than any other brain. However, no animal is capable of such violence, cruelty, and use of destructive forces like humans. Why is that?                          

Neuroscientists say that only 5% of our cognitive functions is conscious, whereas the remaining 95% is executed in a subconscious manner. This mean that 95% of our thoughts, emotions and behaviours are out of our direct rational control. If you think that you are free and independent and live life according to your plans, think twice. Almost the totality of your life is dictated by the subconscious mind. So now the question is: how is the subconscious mind formed?

In the West, the subconscious mind is a fairly recent discovery and it is Sigmund Freud’s major contribution to western culture. However, I personally find biology more helpful than psychoanalysis to understand the nature of the subconscious mind, its mechanism and its relationship with the conscious mind.

Biology understands the subconscious mind as the most powerful information processor known. Its job is to read the environment, process stimuli and engage previously acquired (learnt) behaviours, without awareness of the conscious mind.  It can process 20 million environmental stimuli per second versus 40 of the conscious mind; a pretty impressive machine! Once the environmental stimulus is processed and the “lesson” is learnt, it can be accessed and executed at any time automatically, without the need of the conscious mind. Unfortunately, most of the programming which constitute the subconscious mind is downloaded without choice, discrimination, judgment, and rational questioning. We learn from parents, teachers, peers, culture, society and from the environment without the filter of the conscious mind.

In adult life problems arise when the conscious mind has a belief that is in conflict with a formerly learned “truth” stored in the subconscious mind. Subconscious programmes may not support adult conscious mind goals. Tensions between the two minds result in neurological disorders. And since body and mind are an organic unity, these conflicts are expressed in the form of bodily symptoms.

So what to do? How to change the subconscious programmes? How to make the two minds cooperate in harmony? Conventional methods for changing destructive programmes include drugs and talk therapy. Drugs are notoriously ineffective and actually dangerous; it is like trying to fix a malfunctioning radio by hitting it. Psychotherapy is less invasive but equally ineffective: you cannot reason with the unconscious.

Meditation is the answer. Research shows that during theta brain waves, the brain is like a sponge, able to soak up any information; it is in a state of uncritical acceptance and thus able to process any material. Theta brain waves are known as the brain waves pattern of dreaming sleep, when the conscious mind is asleep and the unconscious surfaces expressing itself symbolically via oneiric activity. Experienced meditators can access theta waves during waking hours, making it possible to re-programme the mind by implanting in the subconscious mind any desired suggestion.

Osho Dynamic Meditation is the most powerful and effective meditation technique to modify subconscious programmes. Via fast breathing, catharsis and intense activation of energy, it is possible to tap into the subconscious mind and change self-limiting beliefs by aligning the conscious mind goals with the subconscious programmes.

If you are struggling with self-sabotaging beliefs and looking for a solution, try Dynamic Meditation and let me how you get on.